Pages

Image Map

Friday, January 3, 2014

Five For Friday

If you have read my past few posts, and especially my November Currently, then you know we were thinking about getting a dog.  Then I read my friend's post about losing his dog, and it was equally touching and funny.  I think that sealed the deal with me making up my mind, and I started looking at Pet Finder to find a dog.  We were looking at Golden Retriever dogs because that is what we had before.  So, today, my Five For Friday is going to be 5 things about the newest member of our family.



So upon looking at Pet Finder, I was amazed and saddened by some of the stories about the dogs and their past.  We were not looking for a puppy.  It just wouldn't be fair to it with the hubs and I both working full time.  I didn't look at any more dog profiles once I saw this one.  Meet LILAH, the most crazy Golden Retriever, Chow mix you will ever know!


We called about her and were lucky that the foster parents lived nearby.  Within 2 days, she was on her way to meet us.  The foster parents had no concerns about our home and left her with us that day!  It also happened to be my youngest's 7th birthday (her golden birthday, pun intended)!




We definitely have had some adjusting to do.  She doesn't like it when her humans leave and tends to get a little panicky.  Something we found out the hard way when we came home and our home was destroyed!  She even chewed on our stairs!  We never used baby gates with our children, but have installed 2 since we got Lilah!  She can also open the gates we had installed.  We took her to the vet and then brought her home to run errands, and this is what we came home to!




We had to go back to the vet that same day because she had gotten into the chocolate cookies (you know the ones with the Kisses on top).  They kept her for a few hours so they could make her throw it all up.  Needless to say, we are looking into getting her "crate trained." for her protection, and to avoid any future destruction.  


We also found out the hard way, that she is not spayed like the rescue said that she was.  We are going to get it taken care of, but can't right now because she is in heat!  It is a big pain in the butt.  Thankfully, she keeps the doggie diapers on.  And honestly, she looks really cute in them!



So, in a nutshell, it is much more work than I remembered with our other dog (over 7 years ago).  But what my family is getting back from this naughty, yet truly lovable companion, is so much more!  I don't think I realized how much she had gotten into my heart until I picked her up from the vet after her chocolate incident.  She put both of her front paws on my chest and thoroughly licked my face.  The people working at our vet commented on how much she is already attached to us.  That made me feel wonderful!  She is so sweet, but vicious to her stuffed toys (I've seen the massacre).  She is a great napping buddy, and I look forward to the morning wake up call she gives me every morning by jumping up in bed and not so gently nudging me out of my spot (not to let her out, but she wants my spot in the bed)!



We are very lucky that this wonderful, nutty dog has come into our lives!

Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment